Volunteers are essential to achieving the mission of the Ocean County Historical Society. Anyone who is interested in volunteering at the museum or research center can find a place with the Society. Because there are so many different and varied responsibilities, tasks, and skills needed, you are sure to find something that you would like to learn or teach to others. Volunteer placement is based on interests, talents, and project needs. Volunteers bring energy and life to the Society through the time and talents they donate. Whatever you do, whatever your skills, whatever you enjoy, you can make a difference with the Society.
A sampling of volunteer functions:
- Assist with visitors at museum events and public programs including the
development of “traveling exhibits”
- Lead guided tours of the Elizabeth Sculthorp Force House
- Assist with planning, researching, and labeling of exhibits
- Learn the proper care and storage of the museum’s large textile collection
- Mount exhibits
- Conduct archival research
- Catalog records and documents
- Manage the office
- Set up programs and events
- Assist in planning, organizing, and staffing fund raising activities.
Here are some examples of volunteer opportunities:
Education: Be a docent/tour guide by leading visitors, including school groups, around the museum and sharing both our permanent and temporary exhibits.
Research Center: Improve access to and preservation of historical documents; edit and update records in the digitized catalog; maintain and document collections of printed materials and photographs; create titles for manuscript collections; respond to research and genealogy inquiries.
Museum/Collections: Research objects in the Society’s museum collection; assist with exhibition research and mounting of exhibits; respond to inquiries about the collection; assist with cataloguing the inventory of artifacts.
Imaging: Assist with the cataloging of photographs and reproductions of collection materials.
Public Relations and Marketing: Assist with mailings to members and donors, assist with calendar updates to the media; assist with press releases for public relations related projects.
Gardens & Grounds: Assist in maintaining the Society’s Victorian gardens and grounds by planting, mulching, fertilizing, watering, weeding, and deadheading.
Administrative: Meet and greet visitors; answer the telephone; assist with filing, organizing supplies, preparing mailings, taking photographs
Publications: Write, edit, and publish works relevant to the history of Ocean County.
Development: Assist with fundraising activities including grant writing.
Your experience should be as enjoyable for you as it is valuable to the Society. Become a volunteer at the Ocean County Historical Society. How?
1) Request an application by calling: 732-341-1880 or emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. After receiving it, complete it, and mail it to the Society; or
2) Download a form directly from this web page. Complete it and mail or hand deliver it to the Society; or
3) Apply online
Thank you! We welcome your interest in helping the Society.